Del Monte, California
Del Monte (also, Delmonte) is a formerly unincorporated community in Monterey County, California, now a part of the city of Monterey, California. It is located in the east part of Monterey, at an elevation of 16 feet (5 m).
The name came from the former luxury resort Hotel Del Monte (now the Naval Postgraduate School). Charles Crocker, one of California's big four railroad barons, established the resort through Southern Pacific Railroad's property division, Pacific Improvement Company. The first hotel was completed in 1880, with a nearby depot on Monterey Bay. The Del Monte included the hotel, parkland, polo grounds, and golf course. The property extended south and southeast of the hotel and included gardens, parkland, polo grounds, race track, and golf course. The Del Monte development also included a scenic drive from the hotel to another portion of the resort, Pebble Beach, on the Monterey Peninsula. A portion of that drive is preserved as 17-mile drive.
The Delmonte post office operated at the Hotel Del Monte from 1882 to 1883. The Del Monte post office opened in 1901, closed for a period in 1911, and closed for good in 1951.
The City of Monterey annexed Del Monte in 1948.
Del Monte is Spanish for "of the mountain"