Dowling Catholic High School
As of the 2013-14 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,431 students and 94.6 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 15.1:1. The school's enrollment was 81.2% White, 4.1% Black, 10.2% Hispanic, 4.4% Asian and 0.1% American Indian / Alaska Native.
It was created in 1970 by the merger of St. Joseph Academy for girls (established in 1884) and Dowling High School for boys (established in 1918 as the Des Moines College boarding school for boys).
During the 2003-04 school year, Dowling Catholic High School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
Total tuition cost for 2018-2019 is $11,176 plus fees. Tuition for students belonging to a Catholic Parish is $7,986 plus fees. Tuition for international students is $12,076 plus fees.
The Maroons hold the record for most team home runs during a championship game with 5 in 2001.
- 2007 Girls' Heartland Regional Champions
Dowling is the home of the Dowling Catholic Paradigm, one of the largest debate tournaments held by a school. In 2015, Dowling Catholic won 2 state titles for Congressional Debate, 1 for Public Forum debate, and 1 for Lincoln Douglas Debate.
Home games are played at the 9,500 seat Valley Stadium in West Des Moines, Williams Stadium, or at Drake Stadium in Des Moines. In 2019, they became the first school in Iowa history to win seven straight championships.
Dowling made the playoffs 17 years in a row beginning in 1985 and ending in 2002 when Dowling missed the playoffs. The school won 36 consecutive games in the 1967 through 1971 graduating class seasons. Dowling won 64 consecutive Metro conference games, a streak lasting from 1968 to 1977. In addition to the 64 metro games Dowling also won 57 consecutive conference games lasting from 1993 to 2002. WDM, Valley is Dowling's primary rival since 1968 when the schools joined the Des Moines Metro Conference.
At the Eden Prairie: Prairie Colors tournament on October 11, 2008 in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, Dowling received a first place overall, best drumline, and best winds in the class 2-A competition.Waukee- October 14, 2017 Best Drumline, Best Colorguard, Best Drum Major, 1st Place
The boys' swimming team won four championships, consecutively from 2001 to 2003.
- Dowling has won State Dual Wrestling Championships in 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, and 1992
- Dowling has won the State Traditional Wrestling Championship in 1975, 1978, 1984, 1988, 1990, and 1991
- Dowling has the state record for most consecutive dual wins with 136 set from January 1986 to January 1992
- Michael Annett, professional NASCAR driver
- Amara Darboh, wide receiver for the Seattle Seahawks.
- Joel Dickinson, music producer
- Jerry Groom, College Football Hall of Fame offensive lineman
- Matt Haack, NFL punter
- Bobby Hansen, NBA basketball player.
- Tom Harkin, United States Senator (Iowa)
- Bob Harlan, former president of the Green Bay Packers
- Matt Macri, MLB third baseman
- Mike Mahoney, MLB catcher
- Matt McCoy, Iowa State Senator
- Scott Pose, Major League Baseball player
- Tyson Smith, NFL linebacker
- Fred L. Turner, CEO of McDonald's
- Ross Verba, NFL lineman