List of lakes by area
The area of some lakes can vary considerably over time, either seasonally or from year to year. This is especially true of salt lakes in arid climates.
List of lakes
* denotes saline lake.
Source for the 20 largest lakes (and their areas):
- List of lakes by volume
- List of lakes by depth
- List of largest lakes of Europe
- Recursive islands and lakes
- Aral Sea, formerly the fourth largest lake in the world, with an area of 68,000 km2 (26,300 sq mi)
- Lake Chad, formerly the eleventh largest lake in the world, with an area of 26,000 km2 (10,000 sq mi)
- Lake Urmia, formerly the twenty-ninth largest lake in the world, with an area of 5,200 km2 (2,000 sq mi)
- Lake Michigan-Huron
Notes and references
Note: Lake areas may slightly vary depending on the sources.
- Largest lakes of the former USSR, Water Quality Assessment of the Former Soviet Union (1998).ISBN 0419239200.
- North America: Physical features, The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge (2011).ISBN 0312643020.