Mayor of Jerusalem
The Mayor of the City of Jerusalem is head of the executive branch of the political system in Jerusalem. The Jerusalem Municipality. The mayor's office administers all city services, public property, most public agencies, and enforces all city and state laws within Jerusalem.
The mayor's office is located in Safra Square; it has jurisdiction over all the city's neighborhoods. The mayor appoints many officials, including Directors who head city departments, and his or her deputy mayors.
The Jerusalem City Council was established in 1863 during the rule of the Ottoman Empire. From 1948 to 1967 two municipalities operated in the city: an Israeli municipality provided services to the western neighborhoods of the city and a Jordanian municipality to its eastern parts.
By 1840, the Jewish community constituted the largest single religious group in the city. From the 1880s onward, the Jews constituted the majority within the city. However, it was only in 1937, under the British Mandate, that the first Jewish mayor was appointed. Since 1948 every mayor has been Jewish.
List of Mayors of Jerusalem (1845–present)
This is a list of mayors of Jerusalem in chronological order.
Ottoman Empire (1845–1920)
- 1845-1847 - Kıbrıslı Mehmed Emin Pasha, whose first wife, Melek Hanım wrote a book which also described their life in Jerusalem
- 1848–1863 – Ahmad Agha Duzdar Al-Asali (official title: Governor of Jerusalem)
- 1863–1867 – Abdelrahman al-Dajani
- 1867 – Rafadulo Astiriyadis Effendi (acting)
- 1867–1869 – Abdelrahman al-Dajani
- 1869 – Mūsā Faydī al-'Alamī
- 1869–1870 – Abd al-Salām Paşa al Ḥusaynī
- 1870–1876 – Yousef Al-Khalidi
- Triumvirate 1876–1877 – Abd al-Qādir al-Khalīlī Abū l-Hudā/'Umar 'Abd al-Salām Paşa al Ḥusaynī/Salīm Shākir al-Ḥusaynī.
- 1877 – Shaḥāda Faydallāh al-'Alamī
- 1877–1878 – Rafadulo Astiriyadis Effendi (acting)
- 1878–1879 – Yousef Al-Khalidi
- 1879–1881 – Mūsā Faydī al-'Alamī
- 1882–1897 – Ḥusayn Salīm Paşa al Ḥusaynī
- 1897–1899 – Yaseen al-Khalidi
- 1899–1906 – Yousef Al-Khalidi
- 1906–1909 – Faidi al-Alami
- 1909–1917 – Hussein al-Husayni
- 1917–1918 – Aref al-Dajani
- 1918–1920 – Musa Kazim al-Husayni
Mandatory Palestine (1920–1948)
Divided Jerusalem (1948–1967)
Mayors of West Jerusalem (Israel)
Mayors of East Jerusalem (Jordan)