From today's featured article
The grey currawong (Strepera versicolor) is a large passerine bird native to southern Australia, including Tasmania. One of three currawong species, it is a large crow-like bird, around 48 cm (19 in) long, with yellow irises, a heavy bill, and dark plumage, with a white undertail and wing patches. The male and female are similar in appearance. The six subspecies are distinguished by their overall plumage shade. They have a distinctive loud ringing or clinking call. The currawong is generally sedentary, although it is a winter visitor in south-easternmost Australia. Much of its behaviour and habits is poorly known. It is a ground-foraging omnivore and builds its nests high in trees. It is found in forests and scrubland in drier regions. Unlike its more common relatives, it has adapted poorly to human impact, and has declined in much of its range. (Full article...)
Did you know ...
- ... that the first telephone designed in Canada, Nortel's Contempra (example pictured), became so famous it was featured on a stamp?
- ... that at the time of her death at age 90, Lilliane Brady was the mayor of Cobar Shire and the longest-serving female mayor in New South Wales's history?
- ... that British jazz saxophonist Nubya Garcia's debut album Source, which incorporates reggae, cumbia, calypso, hip-hop, and soul, is an ode to her musical history?
- ... that Libuše Domanínská, a soprano of Prague's National Theatre, performed in all of Janáček's operas, and a recording she made as his Jenůfa made his works better known beyond their home country?
- ... that Roy Brown, credited with downing the Red Baron, suffered a serious accident not long after being posted to Marske Aerodrome?
- ... that in 2019 Joel Farabee became the first player born in the 2000s to become a Philadelphia Flyers player?
- ... that black-sided flowerpeckers camouflage the outside of their nests with lichens?
- ... that the Language Integrator is a peep show intended only for inhabitants of the 82nd century to use?
In the news
Naomi Osaka and Novak Djokovic
On this day