Plumstead, Cape Town
Plumstead was first mentioned when, in 1762, a large portion of the land beyond Wynberg and the Constantia Valley was granted to the free burghers Hendrick Jergens and Johan Barrens, who were Dutch settlers. They called the land 'Rust' (Rest) and 'Werk' (Work).
Twenty years later the land was granted to Hendrick Bouman Brigeraad.
After the decline of the Dutch East India Company, the British occupied the Cape.
An Englishman, Henry Batt, arrived in 1807 and bought 'Rust and Werk' and renamed it Plumstead, after a district of London. He farmed the area for twenty six years, and died in 1833. The farm Plumstead was sub-divided and bought by Messrs. Higgs, Loubscher and Southey. Today, Plumstead consists of a mix of houses built in the 1940s and 1950s and more modern residences.
The suburb contains a number of educational institutions.
- John Graham Primary School
- Timour Hall Primary School
- Plumstead Preparatory School
- Plumstead High School
- South Peninsula High School
- Norman Henshilwood High School
- Cape Town College of Fashion Design
Plumstead has multiple small shopping centers within its boundaries;
Plumstead incorporates the Cape Town Cricket Club and Plumstead Tennis Club, both located on Victoria Road.
Plumstead is divided between wards 62, 63 and 73 of the City of Cape Town metropolitan municipality. The ward councillors are Elizabeth Brunette, Monty Oliver and Carol Bew, respectively, all members of the Democratic Alliance.The Plumstead Municipal Offices are located on Victoria Road.
Plumstead railway station
Gabriel Place shopping center
View of the upper portion of Plumstead, with Table Mountain in the background
- Constantiaberg Bulletin, 25 August 2005; Pg 5.