Haggett was born 1933 in the rural Somerset village of Pawlett, and he was educated at Dr Morgan's Grammar School in Bridgwater. He would later credit the time spent in his childhood walking and cycling around the district for the development of his keen interest in geography.
In 1951 he entered undergraduate studies at St. Catharine's College, Cambridge, where he read Geography. Peter Hall (later Sir Peter), the noted urban geographer, was one of his contemporaries. Haggett graduated in 1954, obtaining a "Double First" (First-Class Honours in parts I and II of the Tripos).
In an academic career spanning half a century, Professor Haggett is noted for his significant research contributions to the field of human geography, and is the author or editor of over 30 books on geographical practice, theory and individual research topics. He has held numerous teaching posts and visiting professorships at institutions around the world, but is most particularly associated with the University of Bristol where he has been a lecturer and professor of geography since 1966. Among the many awards and distinguished recognitions conferred, Haggett was awarded the French Lauréat Prix International de Géographie Vautrin Lud in 1991, and made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the Queen's Birthday Honours of 1993, for "services to urban and regional geography".
Peter is also known to have been offered many prestigious academic positions, but has preferred to specialize in the geographical study of epidemiology and the spatial relationships and distribution of infectious diseases for the latter half of his career.
- Beckinsale, Robert P. (1997). "Richard J. Chorley: A Reformer with a Cause". In David R. Stoddart (ed.). Process and Form in Geomorphology. London and New York: Routledge. pp. 3–14. ISBN 0-415-10527-7. OCLC 33969075.
- Flowerdew, Robin (2004). "Peter Haggett". In Phil Hubbard; Rob Kitchin; Gill Valentine (eds.). Key Thinkers on Space and Place. London; Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications. pp. 155–159. ISBN 0-7619-4962-3. OCLC 52358174.
- Stoddart, David R. (1997). "Richard J. Chorley and Modern Geomorphology". In David R. Stoddart (ed.). Process and Form in Geomorphology. London and New York: Routledge. pp. 383–399. ISBN 0-415-10527-7. OCLC 33969075.
- "UWE awards honorary degree to Professor Peter Haggett" (Press release). UWE-Bristol Press Office. 24 November 2004. Retrieved 29 May 2008.
- Works by or about Peter Haggett in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- 'Emeritus Professor Peter Haggett' personal profile, School of Geographical Sciences–University of Bristol