The area of the Darlington's Bridge. The bridge was south of the current one (marked as "Conrail Railroad") and near where Hemlock Hill Road, Route 163 and Route 46 would get closest to the river in Delaware Station.
The Darlington's Bridge at Delaware Station
was a highway bridge over the Delaware River
in the community of Delaware, New Jersey
(known locally as Delaware Station). Formerly a railroad bridge constructed by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad
in 1871 to replace an earlier 1855 timber span, the bridge was sold off when the new one upstream was constructed. Henry V. Darlington, an Episcopal
minister in Delaware and nearby Belvidere
offered to buy the second-hand bridge for $5,000 (1914 USD, equal to $Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character ",".
today). Darlington converted it into a highway bridge, using two fired members of the nearby Meyer's Ferry to be toll collectors. The bridge prospered, becoming a part of State Highway Route 6 in 1927 and U.S. Route 46
in 1936. In 1932, during the massive state takeover of bridges by the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission
, Darlington refused offers, bargaining his way up to $275,000 (1932 USD, equal to $Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character ",".
today) before accepting the sale. This amount was a far cry from the nearby Belvidere-Riverton
and Portland-Columbia Covered Bridge
, which were accepted for $60,000 (equal to $Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character ",".
today) and $50,000 (equal to $Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character ",".
today) respectively. On that moment, tolls along the bridge and Route 6 were eliminated. The bridge prospered toll-free for another 21 years, until the construction of the Portland-Columbia Toll Bridge
upstream at Columbia. Darlington was still alive to see all this transpire. The Commission ceased operations on the Darlington Bridge on April 3, 1954, and the bridge was immediately demolished. (Full article...